Monday, October 1, 2012

The Perils Of A Wildlife Walk


The full story which wouldn't have come across very well with my limited space and skills is as I shall now sing.
There was an emu daddy with about five chicks, grazing away, having a good time.
As I was walking down at a safe distance to pass them I noticed a lone emu stalking along about three metres from me, keeping pace and staring at the emu daddy.
Emu daddy noticed lone emu.
Their necks puffed up like toilet brushes.
Emu daddy came charging out to chase of the intruder.
Then a local magpie who decided this was a bunch of bullshit started swooping the both of them.
With this backup emu daddy managed to see lone emu off and return to his chicks.
I only had to run a couple of metres to the right to make sure I wouldn't be in the path of the retreating lone emu or catch the eye of the now hyper-alert emu daddy but good God, you do not want one of those things running at you.
It would be like being kicked to death by a velociraptor.

There are depressingly few pictures on a quick image search of fighting emus but here's a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment